The Duke University Middle East Studies Center (DUMESC) awards FLAS fellowships for the study of Arabic, Hebrew, Persian and Turkish.
DUCIS (Duke University Center for International Studies) also awards FLAS awards for these languages.
The application period for both Summer and AY FLAS Fellowships is usually in February or March.
1. Recipients must enroll as full-time students in a graduate or professional degree program during the fellowship period;
2. Recipients must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents;
3. Recipients must enroll in the formal study of one of the Center's approved languages while
4. pursuing a formal academic program of study that includes area studies courses, or 5. be actively engaged in the use of such a language via overseas field research;
6. Only candidates of very high professional promise should be nominated.